Education and work
Numbers refers to my Reference list.
· 1968‑71: Norwegian high‑school, with one year break to study in Michigan, USA, as an exchange student.
· 1971-72: Worked at a psychiatric treatment centre for youth (Bjerketun).
· Compulsory military service, most of the time connected with the psychology department of the army.
· 1973‑74: Studied ecology and environmental sciences at Telemark College.
· 1974‑77: Undergraduate studies in biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics at the University of Oslo, ending with at Cand-mag degree. One semester was spent at the University of California at Berkeley, attending classes in natural sciences.
· 1977‑79: Graduate work at Norsk Hydros Institute for Cancer Research, but connected with the Department of Zoology, University of Oslo; ending with a Cand-real degree with the top grade "Laudabilis prae ceteris". The last three semesters I was supported by university student fellowships.
· 1979‑80: Research fellowship at the Norsk Hydros Institute for Cancer Research.
· 1980‑85: Research fellowship at the Department of Zoology, University of Oslo. Dr.scient. in 1981 on work related to cellular control of protein degradation [1-9]. Worked at the School of Medicine, Tokushima University, Japan as a Matsumae International Foundation Fellow in 1981‑82 on the cAMP response . Received a Dr.philos. in 1984 [12-14,17-22] on autophagy and molecular aspects of protein turnover.
· Additional research in the same period on three other projects: 1) An ecological study on the movement of algae (Chlamydomonas nivalis) in snow . 2) Response of a ciliate (Tetrahymena) to nutritional deprivation [24,26]. 3) Developing a method for studying cells with perforated cell membrane .
· Exams for one year credits in social anthropology (fall 1983), and half a year pedagogic (fall 1984).
· 1985‑87: Research fellowship at the National Veterinary University, working towards the improvement of disease resistance in farm animals by transgenic technique, and by using genetic parameters for breeding [27,28,31,32,42,54].
· 1987‑: Employed at the Section for Molecular Virology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health. Head of the section from 1990-2002, doing research in virology [29,33-35,36-41,43-52,55-58,61-71,73,75-77,80-84,86,88-91,96,97,99-103], as well as some work related to human genetics [51,53,67,69,73,74,97,99,101], immunomodulation [90,95,98,99], and human behavior 59,60,72,78,79,85,87,92-94]. We are presently reorganized as Department of Virology.
· 1990-91: A one year sabbatical at the Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio working with in vitro mutagenesis and protein engineering connected with inhibitors of the HIV proteinase [44,45,47,48].
· 1993: Appointed as professor II at the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Bergen.
· 1993-2001: Appointed to lead a Secretariat handling applications in connection with the Norwegian «DNA Technology Act».
· 1993 and 95: Collaborative work at the Medical Faculty, Tokyo University, Japan, supported by the Sasakawa Foundation .
· 2004: Appointed as professor II at the Institute of Oral Biology, University of Oslo.