University of Oslo
Centre for Development and the Environment
P.O. Box 1116, Blindern
0317 Oslo, Norway
- Ph.D., University of Oslo
- M.A., University of Oslo
- B.A., University of Oslo and St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta University
- Visiting Associate Professor, Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, Stanford University
- Associate Professor and Research Director, Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo
- Adjunct Professor, China Agricultural University, Beijing
- Fulbright Scholar, Center for Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, Stanford University (2010-2011)
- Visiting Scholar, Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality, Stanford University (2010-2011)
- Head, Academic Network on Legal Empowerment of the Poor (ANLEP) (2007-2011)
- Head of Reference Group, Norwegian-Finish Trust Fund in the World Bank for Environmentally and Socially Sustainable Development (TFESSD) (2008-2010)
- Visiting Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, D.C., 2006
- Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo, 2002-2005
- Research Director, Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo, 2003
- Visiting Researcher, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, D.C., 2001
- Member of the Board of Directors, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess’ Foundation, 2001 --2009
- Member of the Board of Directors, CARE Norway, 2008 - 2009
- Member of editorial committee, Nordic Journal of Human Rights
- Member of editorial advisory board, Heidelberg Papers in South Asian and Comparative Politics (HPSACP)
- Member of editorial advisory board, Asian Education and Development Studies
- Poverty and Elusive Development, Oslo: Scandinavian University Press/ Universitetsforlaget (2010)
The Legal Empowerment Agenda: Poverty, Labour and the Informal Economy in Africa, London: Ashgate (2011)
Poverty, Politics and Development: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Bergen: Fagbokforlaget (2006)
- 'Differing Paths but a Common Goal: China's Development Assistance and International Development Effectiveness' (with Li Xiaoyun, Tang Lixia and Wu Jin, forthcoming, IDS Bulletin, 2014).
- 'Fieldwork amidst Poverty and Deprivation: Ethical Dilemmas and Policy Impact', Indian Anthropologist (forthcoming, May 2014)
- 'Access to Justice and Social Unrest in China's Countryside' (with Zhou Chao, submitted to the Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 2014)
- 'Walking the Talk: Rights, Justice and the Fight Against Poverty' in Charles Sampford (ed.), Access to International Justice, Routledge (forthcoming 2014)
- 'The Pursuit of Inclusive Development in China: From Developmental to Rights-Based Social Protection' (with Li Xiaoyun), Indian Journal of Human Development, forthcoming June 2014)
- 'The Global Citizen and the Immorality of Poverty' in A. B. Sterri (ed.), The Global Citizen, Oslo: Unipub (forthcoming 2014)
- 'China and Poverty Reduction in Africa', in Guanghua Yu (ed.), Rethinking Law and Development: The Chinese Experience, London: Routledge (2013).
- 'Growth and Hunger in India', in Francis Fukuyama, Larry Diamond and Marc F. Plattner (eds.), Poverty, Inequality and Democracy, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. (2012)
- 'Human Rights for Human Development: The Rhetoric and the Reality', Nordic Journal of Human Rights, 30(1) (2012).
- 'Growth and Hunger in India', Journal of Democracy, 22 (3): 90-104. (2011)
- 'Governing a Giant: The Limits of Judicial Activism on Hunger in India', Journal of Asian Public Policy, 3(3): 263-280. (2010)
- 'Governing the Asian Giants: Development Policy in China and India', Journal of Asian Public Policy, 3(3): 207-214 (with B. A. Andreassen). (2010)
- 'Support for Human Rights-Based Development: Reflections on the Malawian Experience', The International Journal of Human Rights, 14 (1): 32-48 (2010).
- 'Human Rights and Extreme Poverty: African Perspectives' (with B. A. Andreassen) The International Journal of Human Rights, 14 (1): 2-10 (2010).
- 'The Potential of "Legal Empowerment" in Eradicating Poverty', Rights and Development Bulletin, Vol. 13, No. 1: 5-7 (2009).
- 'Legal Empowerment as a Conceptual and Operational Tool in Fighting Poverty', Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 1(1) (2009).
- 'How can Democracy and Human Rights Ensure Freedom from Hunger', Norwegian Foreign Minister's Task Force on Norwegian interests and foreign policy goals in a changing world (2008). Download
'Implementing Human Rights-Based Development: Some Preliminary Evidence from Malawi', mandate of the Independent Expert on Extreme Poverty, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva (2007) (Download)
‘Is Democracy the Answer? Famine Prevention in Two Indian States’, in Stephen Devereux (ed.), The New Famines: Why Famines Persist in an Era of Globalisation. London: Routledge. (2006)
- 'Democracy, Development and Poverty: Past Experiences and Future Prospects', in Poverty, Politics and Development: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Bergen: Fagbokforlaget (2006)
‘Democracy and the Politics of Hunger’, in W. B. Eide and Uwe Kracht (eds.), Food and Human Rights in Development, Antwerpen: Intersentia. (2005); Available on Google Books
- ‘The Politics of Poverty and Human Rights: Dilemmas and Actions’, Chapter 1 in Poverty: Next Frontier in the Human Rights Struggle? Paris: UNESCO. (2005)
‘Corruption and Public Administration’, in R. B. Jain (ed.), Corruption-free Sustainable Development: Challenges and Strategies for Good Governance. New Delhi: Mittal Publications. (2004)
‘Utvikling og demokrati’ [Development and Democracy], chapter 12 in K. Midgaard & B. E. Rasch (eds.), Demokrati - vilkår og virkninger. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget. (2004)
‘The Transfer Raj: Indian Civil Servants on the Move’, The European Journal of Development Research, 13 (1):104-132. (2001)
‘Matvaresikkerhet og Indias offentlige distribusjonssystem’, [Food Security and India’s Public Distribution System] in Arild E. Ruud et al. (eds.), Nærbilder av India: samfunn, politikk og utvikling [Images of India: Society, Politics and Development], Oslo: Cappelen. (2000)
‘India’s Freedom from Famine: The Case of Kalahandi’, Contemporary South Asia, 7 (3):265-281. (1998)