Against MS infrastructure at UiO
This site gathers information about the planned change of the GNU/Linux mail servers at UiO which is supposed to take place this autumn, and about the actions we have performed to inform our fellow UiO'ers about the issue in order to prevent it.
It all started with a mail message from USIT to UiO employees in April 2013, now USIT maintains a page about it.
In June 2014, we decided to check how the process had gone, and sent an email to all who had previously signed to join in requesting another meeting with the UiO leaders to hear from them. We have also reopened a signature campaign page so that people can say, after one year, what they felt.
- Original posting, Diana Santos, 21 April 2013, with accompanying email to ILOS colleagues.
- Correspondence with USIT, 22-23 April 2013.
- Signature campaign with pointers to other arguments and declarations
- Original "Leser brev" to UniForum (in English), sent 1 May, improved version in Norwegian, sent 5 May.
- E-mail message sent to universitetetsstyre, 5 May, requesting a meeting: Esteemed coleagues, and list of people from UiO who had signed, at that time, with affiliation. Note: the list keeps growing, and is available at the Signature campaign page.
- List to discuss this issue: email@example.com (see info)
- Summary: What is this all about?
- Rector's answer, 21 May, about the meeting request to the styre: answer
- Updated list of signatures from UiO, with faculty affiliation. (this list keeps growing!)
- Text by Martin Steffen on the Universitas article, 23 May 2013:
- Interview to Universitas, sent 28 May 2013
- Public meeting with the UiO leaders about this issue: 5 June, 10 o'clock, 9th floor, Lucy Smith hus, my description of it.
- Flyer, in English and Norwegian, which you can download and hang in your faculty or workplace: Nei til Exchange-servere ved UiO
- Text by Eirik Gjerløw in Universitas, 22 August 2013: Lukket Programvare - lukket prosess?
- Presentation (October) by Maja van der Velden at Green IT School at UiO, on Fair IT, where this case is presented as an example of how things should NOT be done.
- Interview by Uniforum Kjemper mot innføring av Microsoft Exchange på UiO, 25 november 2013 -- note the article at the same time and place Utsetter innføring av nytt e-postsystem describing USIT's position.
- Follow-up news in Computerworld Norge: Microsoft-protest på Universitetet, 25 november 2013.
- Blog on this: Hvor godt fungerer Linux-klienter mot MS Exchange? by Petter Reinholdtsen, 26 November 2013.
- Related blog: The Organisational Panic Button and the Magic Single Vendor Delusion by Paul Boddie, 27 November 2013.
Diana Santos, ILOS, HF, UiO
Last update: 23 June 2014