About the SusNordic website
Editor: John Hille
SusNordic is a project of the research programme ProSus at Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo.
The main focus of this website is on how global commitments to sustainable development are being followed up by the Nordic countries, with particular emphasis on
- integrated sustainable development strategies, and
- climate and energy policy.
The aim is to give a comparative overview of efforts made and results achieved by the five Nordic countries – Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. This includes efforts not only by national authorities, but also by local authorities, business and civil society in each country.
The site is intended as a tool for practitioners within the field of sustainable development, including politicians, administrators, NGOs, journalists, researchers and teachers. We hope the SusNordic Gateway will serve as a multi-purpose tool – useful whether you are looking for experiences from other countries that might be applied in your own context, lobbying for a cause, or seeking background information for a report, article, lecture or debate.
We aim to keep the SusNordic gateway updated at all times. News pages are updated on a weekly basis.
We appreciate your feedback and ideas on how to improve this site. Please contact us by writing an e-mail to the editor.
SusNordic Gateway is made and run by ProSus,
Program for Research and Documentation for a Sustainable Society, in co-operation with the Norwegian Ideas Bank Foundation.
ProSus is a research programme established in 1996 by The Research
Council of Norway, Division for Environment and Development. The
principal goal of is to produce knowledge for the realisation of
a sustainable society.
ProSus is now integrated
as a research program within the Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM), University
of Oslo, Norway.
The main objectives are:
- to monitor Norway's follow-up of the Rio Declaration, Agenda
21 and the guidelines of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable
- to conduct strategic research and documentation for the realisation
of a sustainable society at the local, national and global levels
- to disseminate information on future research directed towards
sustainable development and on the debate concerning global
If you would like to learn more about the people
who work at ProSus, please see the staff
The Ideas Bank is a Foundation established in 1992, with the goal of promoting sustainable development by:
- disseminating examples of best practice, especially from and among the Nordic countries
- facilitating dialogues between different actors in society with an interest in promoting sustainable development, and
- developing and disseminating visions and future studies that point out possible ways towards a sustainable society.
[Last updated: 11.02.2007]