Hadi Fanaee-T , PhD
Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo, Norway
Publons | Researchgate | Linkedin | ORCID | Scholar | DBLP | Scopus | ResearcherID | Mendeley
Short Bio: Hadi Fanaee-T completed his PhD (with distinction) in Computer Science, under supervision of Professor Joao Gama at the Faculty of Science of University of Porto, Portugal in November 2015. He was the finalist in ERCIM Cor Baayen Young Researcher Award 2017. Presently, he is a postdoctoral fellow at the department of biostatistics, University of Oslo, Norway working on high dimensional data integration and analysis with applications to omics data analysis. Prior to this he was a postdoctoral researcher in European FP7 Project "MAESTRA" at INESC TEC research institute, Portugal. His main research interests are interdisciplinary applications of tensor decompositions, data fusion, anomaly/event detection and spatiotemporal data mining. He is the first-author of several journal and conference papers. He has served as a PC member to over 20 prestigious conferences (e.g. IJCAI, AAAI, ECML-PKDD, ISMIS, ACM SAC, IEEE DSAA, etc.) and also reviewer to several high-impact journals (e.g. TDKE, TKDD, DAMI, ML, KAIS, KBS, CSUR). Dr. Fanaee was an invited talk at the summer school on "mining big and complex data" held in Ohrid, Macedonia, September 2016 (watch in videolectures) . He is co-advising three PhD students, and a Master's student. He also concluded the supervision of a visiting PhD student, and a research fellow. He is leading the SimTensor project.
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning
- Tensor Analysis
- Anomaly Detection
- Time series Analysis
- Spatio-temporal Data Mining
- Feb 2017-Present: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oslo, Norway
- Dec 2015-Jan2017: Postdoctoral Fellow, European FP7 Project "MAESTRA", INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
- 4-9 September 2016, MAESTRA Summer School on Big and Complex Data, Ohrid, Macedonia
- 2-5 September 2015, Summer School on Data Sciences for Big Data , ECML/PKDD 2015 Summer School, Porto, Portugal
- Nov 2015, PhD in Computer Science (with distinction), University of Porto, Portugal
- Sep 2010, MSc, Shiraz University, Iran
- Jan 2008, BSc, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran
- Marcello Feroce (MSc student, Co-advisor with Prof. Wolfgang Wörndl)
- Thesis: Spatial Latent Semantic Analysis of Hotel Reviews (09/2019-)
- Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
- Chi Zhang (PhD student, Co-advising with Prof. Magne Thoresen)
- Subject: Tensor-based methods for feature extraction from Electronic Health Records(04/2019-)
- University of Oslo, Norway
- Maryam Amoozegar (PhD student, Co-advisor with Prof. Behrouz Minaei-Bidgoli
and Prof. Mansoor Rezghi)
- Thesis: Anomaly detection in dynamic graphs using algorithms for tensor decomposition (04/2019-)
- Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran
- Sofia da Silva Fernandes (PhD student, Co-advisor with Prof. Joao Gama)
- Tensor-based approaches for Evolving Social Network Analysis (06/2016-)
- Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Porto, Portugal
- Hamid Eslami Nosratabadi (Research Fellow, Co-advisor with Prof. Joao Gama)
- Mobility Mining using Nonnegative Tensor Factorization (06/2016-11/2016)
- INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
- Roberto Corizzo (Visting PhD student, Co-advisor with Prof. Michelangelo Ceci and Prof. Joao Gama)
- Tensor models for power forecasting (09/2016-12/2016)
- Department of Computer Science, University of Bari, Italy
- Tensor decomposition and applications, 24 March 2017, Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo, Norway.
- Mining Tensor Data, 26 Jan 2017, Department of Computer Engineering, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
- Mining Tensor Data, Summer school on Big and Complex Data, 4-9 September 2016, Ohrid, Macedonia ( Videolectures link )
- Tensor data analysis, PhD course on Knowledge Discovery from Databases, Fall 2016, Faculty of Informatics, University of Minho, Portugal
- Tensor data analysis, Master’s course on Advanced data mining, Spring 2015, Faculty of Economics of University of Porto, Portugal
- Application of Tensor decompositions in data mining, Master’s course on Advanced data mining, Spring 2016, Faculty of Economics of University of Porto, Portugal
- Application of Tensor decompositions in data mining, Master’s course on Advanced data mining Spring 2016, Faculty of Science of University of Porto, Portugal
Program Committee member
- 34th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Feb 7, 2020 - Feb 12, 2020, Hilton New York Midtown, New York, USA (AAAI 2020)
- The 35th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing Data Streams Track, March 30 - April 3, 2020, Brno, Czech Republic (ACM SAC 2020)
- 5th International Conference on Big Data, Small Data, Linked Data and Open Data, February 23, 2020 to February 27, 2020 - Lisbon, Portugal (ALLDATA 2020)
- 2nd International Conference on Big Data Engineering and Technology, Jan 3-5, 2020, Singapore (BDET 2020)
- 22nd International Conference on Discovery Science, October 28-30, 2019, Split, Croatia (DS 2019)
- 33rd AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, January 27 – February 1, 2019, Hawaii, USA (AAAI 2019)
- 28th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2019, August 10-16, 2019, Macao, China (IJCAI 2019)
- 8th International Workshop on New Frontiers in Mining Complex Patterns (@ECML-PKDD 2019), September 16-20, 2019, Wùzburg, Germany (NFmcp 2019)
- 1st International Workshop on IoT Stream for Data Driven Predictive Maintenance (@ECML/PKDD 2019), September 16-20, 2019, Wùzburg, Germany (IoT Stream 2019)
- 5th International Conference on Big Data, Small Data, Linked Data and Open Data, March 24-28, 2019 - Valencia, Spain (ALLDATA 2019)
- 2nd Workshop on Online Recommender Systems and User Modeling (@RecSys 2019), Sep 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark (ORSUM 2019)
- 7th International Workshop on New Frontiers in Mining Complex Patterns (Conj. ECML-PKDD 2018), September 10-14, 2018, Dublin, Ireland (NFmcp 2018)
- 27th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2018, July 13-19, 2018, Stockholm, Sweden (IJCAI 2018) (+ IJCAI 2018 Sister Conference Best Paper Track)
- 2nd International Conference on Big Data Engineering and Technology, August 24-26, 2018, Chengdu, China (BDET 2018)
- 24th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Oct 28-31, 2018, 2018, St. Raphael Resort, Limassol, Cyprus (ISMIS 2018)
- 33rd ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing - Data Streams Track (ACM SAC 2018)
- 1st Workshop on Online Recommender Systems and User Modeling, April 23rd, Lyon, France (ORSUM 2018)
- 21st CSI International Computer Science and Software Engineering Conference, Shiraz, Iran October 25-27, 2017. (CSSE 2017)
- 20st IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference 2017, Yokohama, JAPAN, October 16 - 19, 2017(IEEE ITSC 2017)
- 6th International Workshop on New Frontiers in Mining Complex Patterns, ECML-PKDD 2017 (NFMCP 2017)
- 32nd ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing (ACM SAC 2017)
- 4th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (IEEE DSAA 2017)
- 23rd International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS 2017)
- 1st International Workshop on Analytics on Evolving Networks, The Hague, Netherlands, 29 August 2016 (AEN 2016)
- 1st International Workshop on High Velocity Mobile Data Mining, June 2016, Porto, Portugal (MobDM 2016)
- 25th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2015, July 25-31, 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Senior PC Member) (IJCAI 2015)
- 26st European Conference on Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery, Porto, Portugal, September 7–11, 2015 (ECMLPKDD'2015 )
- 30th ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing, April 13 - 17, 2015, Salamanca, Spain (SAC2015)
- 25th European Conference on Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery, September 15-19, 2014. Nancy, France (ECMLPKDD'2014)
- 26th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 20-22, Porto, Portugal (CBMS 2013).
- 3rd International workshop on Ubiquitous Data Mining, 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (UDM'2013), Beijing, China, August 3, 2013
- 24st European Conference on Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery, Prague 23‒27 September 2013 (ECMLPKDD'2013)
- 2nd International workshop on Ubiquitous Data Mining , 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (UDM'2012), Montpellier, France, August 27 - 31, 2012.
- 7st Doctoral Symposium on Informatics Engineering (DSIE'2012), 26-27 January 2012, Porto , Portugal.
Journal Ad-hoc Reviewer
- ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, ACM
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE
- Knowledge and Information Systems , Springer
- Machine Learning , Springer.
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Springer
- Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Springer
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, Wiley
- Knowledge-Based Systems, Elsevier
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE/ACM
- ACM Computing Surveys, ACM
- Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, IOS Press
- Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Elsevier
- Progress in Artificial Intelligence, Springer.
- International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, SAGE
- International Journal of Remote Sensing , Taylor & Francis
- Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Elsevier
- Computer Science and Information Systems journal, ComSIS
- International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, AMCS
- ACM SIGKDD conference on knowledge discovery and data mining (KDD'2012, KDD'2015 and KDD'2016 )
- INNS Big Data 2015 (INNS-BigData'2015), San Francisco, USA, 8-10 August 2015
- The 2014 International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA’2014), Oct 30 - Nov 1, 2014 Shanghai , China
- 1st International Workshop on Machine Learning for Urban Sensor Data (SenseML 2014)
- 2012 Brazilian Symposium on Neural Networks (SBRN'2012), Curitiba, Parana, Brazil,October 20-25, IEEE, 2012
- 12th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (PRICAI'2012), Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, September 3 - 7, Springer, 2012.
Honors & Awards
- Investigator, Project National training initiative to make better use of biobanks and health registry data, Research Council of Norway
- Investigator, Project TEC4Growth-RLSMILES: Smart, Mobile, Intelligent and Large scale Sensing and analytics, Norte2020
- Investigator, Project MAESTRA (Learning from Massive, Incompletely annotated, and Structured Data), EU FP7
- Investigator, Project SIBILA (Towards Smart Interacting Blocks that Improve Learned Advice), Norte ON.2
- Investigator, Project Event Detection from evolving Spatiotemporal data streams, March 2012- current, LIAAD- INESC TEC, Porto.
- Research Fellowship, Project Spatio-temporal Data Mining , University of Aveiro, IEETA, 2011-2012
- Investigator, Project TNet: Trajectory monitoring for IP/TV network management, LIAAD-INESC Porto, 16-04-2011 - 30-07-2012
- University of Applied Science and Technology - Academic Center for Education , Calture and Research ( ACECR ) , Mashad , Iran , 2008- 2010
- Theory of Electronic Commerce
- Electronic Commerce
- Information Technology Engineering
- Fundamentals of Information Technology
- Shargh Specialized Language and IT Education Center , 2008-2009
- Ferdowsi University of Mashad , Cultural Center , 2005-2008
- Programmer and website designer , Statistics and Information Technology Center , Ferdowsi University of Mashad , Mashad , Iran , 2005-2006
- Software Developer , Kasbarg Information Technology Co. , Technology Development Center , Compus of Ferdowsi University of Mashad , Mashad , Iran , 2005-2010
- Technical Secretary for ISIRI/ITTC/SC35 Committee ( ISO Information Technology Standards for User interfaces )
Institute of Standard and Industrial Research of Iran (ISIRI) , 2009 - 2011
- Working Group Responsible for Workgroup ISIRI/ITTC/SC 35/WG 2 ( ISO Information Technology Standards for GUI and Interaction )
Institute of Standard and Industrial Research of Iran (ISIRI) , 2009 - 2011
- Hadi Fanaee-T and Magne Thoresen, Performance evaluation of methods for integrative dimension reduction, Information Sciences, Vol. 493, PP. 105-119, 2019.
- Hadi Fanaee-T and Magne Thoresen, Multi-insight visualization of multi-omics data via ensemble dimension reduction and tensor factorization, Bioinformatics, Vol. 35, No. 10, 2019. [Code]
- Sofia Fernandes, Hadi Fanaee-T and João Gama, Dynamic graph summarization: a tensor decomposition approach, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Vol 32, No. 1397, 2018. [Code]
- S. Ullah, H. Daud, S. Dass, H. Fanaee-T, A. Khalil, An Eigenspace approach for detecting multiple space-time disease clusters: application to measles hotspots detection in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan, Plos ONE,13(6), 2018.
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Tensor-based anomaly detection: An interdisciplinary survey, Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol 98, PP. 130-147, 2016.
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Event detection from traffic tensors: a hybrid model, Neurocomputing, Volume 203, August 2016, Pages 22-33, 2016. [Please contact me for Code]
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Multi-aspect-streaming tensor analysis, Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol 89, PP. 332-345, 2015. [Code]
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Eigenspace Method for Spatiotemporal Hotspot Detection, Expert Systems, PP. 454-464, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2015.
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, EigenEvent: An Algorithm for Event Detection from Complex Data streams in Syndromic Surveillance , Intelligent Data Analysis , PP. 597-616, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2015.[Code]
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Event Labeling Combining Ensemble Detectors and Background Knowledge , Progress in Artificial Intelligence, PP. 113-127, Vol 2, No.2-3, 2014.
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Mehran Yazdi, A Semantic VSM-Based Recommender System, International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering, PP. 331-336, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2013.
- Sofia Fernandes, Hadi Fanaee-T and João Gama, Evolving social networks analysis via tensor decompositions: from global event detection towards local pattern discovery and specification, 22nd International Conference on Discovery Science (DS'2019)
- Sofia Fernandes, Hadi Fanaee-T and João Gama, The Initialization and Parameter Setting Problem in Tensor Decomposition-Based Link Prediction, IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA'2017), pp. 99-108.
- Hamid Eslami Nosratabadi, Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, Mobility Mining using Nonnegative Tensor Factorization, 18th EPIA Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA'2017), pp.321-330, 2017.
- Z. Souzanchi-k, Hadi Fanaee-T, H. Yaghoubi, M-R Akbarzadeh-T, A multi Adaptive Neuro Fuzzy Inference System for short term load forecasting by using previous day features, In the proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Conference On Electronics and Information Engineering (ICEIE'2010), vol.2, no., pp.V2-54,V2-57, 1-3 Aug. 2010. DOI: 10.1109/ICEIE.2010.5559714
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Márcia D. B. Oliveira, João Gama, Simon Malinowski, Ricardo Morla, Event and Anomaly Detection Using Tucker3 Decomposition, In Proceedings of 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI'2012)- UDM Workshop, CEUR Workshop Proceedings , Vol 960, PP. 8-12, 2012, RWTH Aachen, Germany. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.2370.9286
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Finding the best ranking model for spatial objects, In Proceedings of 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI'2012)- UDM Workshop, CEUR Workshop Proceedings , Vol 960, PP. 58-60, 2012, RWTH Aachen, Germany. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.2895.2164
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, An Eigenvector-based Hotspot detection, In the proceedings of 16th Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA'2013), Acores, Portugal, PP. 290-301, 9-12 September 2013. ISBN: 978-989-95489-1-6. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.4992.3686
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Mehran Yazdi, A Novel Ontology-based Recommender System for online forums , In Proceedings of 2011 3rd IEEE International Conference on Information Management and Engineering (ICIME'2011), PP. 183-189, Vol.5, May 21-22, 2011, Zhengzhou, China. ISBN: 978-981-07-2866-3, DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.2633.0724
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Ana Maria Tome , Jose Manuel Matos Moreira, Ranking of Spatial Polygons based on their neighbor facilities quality , In Proceedings of 17th Portuguese Conference on Pattern Recognition (RecPad'2011) , 28 Oct 2011, Porto , Portugal. ISBN: 978-989-8331-15-1. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.3288.4327
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Marcia Oliveira , Joao Gama, Anomaly detection from telecommunication data using three-way analysis, In Proceedings of 20th Congress of the Portuguese Statistical Society (SPE'2012), PP. 557-562, Vol.1 , 26-29 September 2012, Porto, Portugal. ISBN: 978-972-8890-32-2. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.4337.0082
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Spatio-Temporal Clustering Methods Classification, In Proceedings of Doctoral Symposium on Informatics Engineering (DSIE'2012), PP. 199-209, Vol.1, 26-27 January 2012, Porto , Portugal. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.1.3812.7204
Thesis and Pre-prints
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Tensor-based Event Detection, PhD Thesis, Faculty of Sciences of University of Porto, Portugal, Nov 2015.
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Joao Gama, SimTensor: A synthetic tensor data generator, arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.03772 (2016). [Code]
- Hadi Fanaee-T, Bike Sharing Dataset, UCI Machine Learning Repository, [http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml]. Irvine, CA: University of California, School of Information and Computer Science.
- SimTensor Software Project ( Tensor data generator for evaluation of tensor factorization algorithms)- Github link
- Deep learning is equivalent to hierarchical multilinear tensor decompositions!! [paper]